I keep saying it: “Benedict is on the move.”
As the media’s slanderous assaults against our Holy Father proceed, His Holiness Benedict XVI keeps making amazing decisions that will positively effect the Church for decades to come.
According to Rorate Caeli, we will soon learn that George Cardinal Pell, archbishop of Sydney, Australia, has been named as the new Prefect of the Congregation for Bishops. This means that one of the bishops most known for orthodoxy *worldwide* is going to be in charge of appointing bishops.
Pell was very instrumental in the movement to get an accurate English translation of the Roman Missal (IIRC, Pell was in charge of the Vox Clara Commission, the Vatican’s ad hoc committee that was basically operating parallel to and against the International Committee on English in the Liturgy (IIRC) to implement _Liturgiam Authenticam_).
He was also instrumental in the movement that resulted in the Anglican Ordinariates.
Some of his other achievements, according to his Wikipedia entry:
1. He’s “controversial” for upholding basic Catholic teachings (and Natural Law principles) regarding sexuality, and for “supporting” the Holy Father’s statement of the fact that condoms promote the spread of AIDS.
2. He supports the full restoration of the Society of St. Pius X as long as they accept the teachings of Vatican II that the state cannot coerce faith and that anti-semitism is a sin.
3. He said politicians who support embryonic stem cell research and human cloning should not present themselves for Communion.
4. He has criticized Islam as “not a tolerant religion,” and as the “Communism of the 21st Century”.
5. He has called environmentalists “neo-Pagans.”
6. He opposes no-fault divorce.
7. He supports mandatory _ad orientam_ posture.
8. He doesn’t like Barack Obama.